Request Letter for Getting Business Records Related to Identity Theft
This sample letter will help you get business records relating to the identity theft (like signatures, receipts, and contact information).
The text in [brackets] indicates where you must customize the letter.
[Your City, State, Zip Code]
[Name of Company]
[Address specified by the company for 609(e) requests, or, if none is specified, the address for the Fraud Department or Billing Inquiries Department]
[City, State, Zip Code]
RE: Request for Records Pursuant to Section 609(e) of the Fair Credit Reporting Act
[Description of fraudulent transaction/account]
[Dates of fraudulent transaction or Account Number (if known)]
Dear Sir or Madam:
I am a victim of identity theft. The thief [made a fraudulent transaction/opened a fraudulent account] in my name with your company. In accordance with section 609(e) of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 U.S.C. § 1681g(e), I am requesting that you provide me copies of business records relating to the fraudulent [transaction/account] identified above. The law directs that you provide these documents at no charge, and without requiring a subpoena, within thirty (30) days of your receipt of this request. I am enclosing a copy of the relevant federal law and the Federal Trade Commission’s business education publication on this topic.
Enclosed with this request is the following documentation, as applicable:
- Proof of my identity: A copy of my driver’s license, other government-issued identification card, or other proof of my identity; and
- Proof of my claim of identity theft:
- A copy of the police report about my identity theft; and
- A completed and signed FTC Identity Theft Affidavit or alternative affidavit of fact.
Please provide all records relating to the fraudulent [transaction/account], including:
- Application records or screen prints of internet/phone applications
- Payment/charge slips
- Investigator’s summary
- Delivery addresses
- All records of phone numbers used to activate or access the account
- Any other documents associated with the account
Please send these records to me at the above address.
[If applicable: In addition, I authorize the law enforcement officer who is investigating my case to submit this request on my behalf and/or receive copies of these records from you. The law enforcement officer’s name, address and telephone number is: [insert officer name, address and telephone]. Please also send copies of all records to this officer.
If you have any questions concerning this request, please contact me at the above address or at [your telephone number].
Enclosures: [List only those items that you are enclosing]
- Identity Theft Report
- Proof of identity: [a copy of my driver’s license/other government-issued identification card/other]
- Fair Credit Reporting Act Section 609(e) [PDF]
- A copy of Businesses Must Provide Victims and Law Enforcement with Transaction Records Relating to Identity Theft