Identity Theft Letter to a Credit Bureau
This sample letter will help remove inaccurate information on your credit report.
The text in [brackets] indicates where you must customize the letter.
[Your City, State, Zip Code]
(Write to each relevant credit reporting agency, one at a time:)
P.O. Box 105069
Atlanta, GA 30348-5069
P.O. Box 9554
Allen, TX 75013
Fraud Victim Assistance Department
P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19022-2000
[RE: Your Account Number (if known)]
Dear Sir or Madam:
I am a victim of identity theft. The information listed below, which appears on my credit report, does not relate to any transaction(s) that I have made. It is the result of identity theft.
[Identify item(s) resulting from the identity theft that should be blocked, by name of the source, such as the credit card issuer or bank, and type of item, such as credit account, checking account, etc.]
Please block this information from my credit report, pursuant to section 605B of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and send the required notifications to all furnishers of this information.
Enclosed are the following:
- A copy of my credit report I received from your company. The fraudulent items are circled.
- A copy of my Identity Theft Report and proof of my identity.
- A copy of section 605B of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, which requires you to block the fraudulent information on my credit report resulting from identity theft within four business days and to promptly notify the furnisher(s) of that information.
I appreciate your prompt attention to this matter, and await your reply.
Enclosures: [List what you are enclosing]
- Identity Theft Report
- Proof of identity: [a copy of my driver’s license/other government-issued identification card/other]
- Copy of Credit Report
- Fair Credit Reporting Act Section 605B [PDF]